||Labadie, Joseph H.
||Hazeltine, Martin M.
|Date of photo
||Nancy Gordon Mock Campbell Shumway. Born in Kentucky in 1821; died in Umatilla County, Oregon, in 1897. Married Reuben Mock (1805-1851) in Iowa in 1836. They had ten children (see below). After Reuben's death, Nancy married John Jackson Campbell (1811-1892) at Bloomdale, Davis County, Iowa, in 1859. They came to Baker County in 1862 and spent the winter in a cabin near the later site of Geiser-Pollman Park. They divorced in 1864. Nancy married Paul L. Shumway, a businessman and gold miner at Mormon Basin in 1865. Her daughter Matilda married Paul's younger brother, James R. Shumway, in 1866. Paul and James operated the Shumway Brothers mercantile store in Mormon Basin from 1864 to around 1870. In 1870 Nancy and Paul relocated with Matilda and James, plus Nancy's son John, to Couse Creek south of Walla Walla in Umatilla County, Oregon. In 1870 Matilda and James relocated to Couse Creek south of Milton in Umatilla County, Oregon. By 1881, Paul and Nancy Shumway joined them, along with Nancy's son John Mock.
Children of Nancy and Reuben Mock:
1. John F. Mock (1838-1885)
2. Mary Jane Mock (1841-1925) & husband John M. Shelton. They had 5 children. Mary died April 24, 1925, in Richland, OR
3. Catherine Mock (1843-1868) Died Dec. 16, 1868, in Baker County, Oregon.
4. Amanda Louise Mock (1845-1852) Born and died in Iowa.
5. Martha E. Mock (1846-1879) She was single with 2 children: Samuel Mock and Emazella Mock Shumway (1860-1879). Martha married Charles E. Place 34 days after arrival in Baker County. Martha died in Baker County, Oregon. Charles died in 1870 in Baker City.
6. Rachel Elmirah Mock (1848-1860) Born and died in Iowa.
7. Emmaretta Mock Smith (1850-1924) a.k.a Emma Zetta. Born in Iowa, died in Heppner (?). She married Charles H. Smith by 1870.
8. Matilda Mock (1852-1938) Married James R. Shumway in 1866 and had 5 children. Their first 3 childre, Olive, Ada, and Amy, were born in Mormon Basin, sons Alva and Arthur were born in Umatilla County, Oregon. In 1870, Matilda and James, along with Nancy and Paul and Matilda's brother, John, relocated to Couse Creek south of Walla Walla in Umatilla County, Oregon. Both James and Matilda died in Umatilla County, Oregon, James Shumway in 1909 and Matilda in 1938.
9. Rosella "Rose" Mock Shumway Lovell Palmer (1859-1886). Adopted (?) by Paul L. Shumway after his 1865 marriage to Nancy. Rosella married Charles L. Palmer in Baker City on April 17, 1878. Born in Iowa, Rosella died in 1886 in Baker City, Oregon.
10. Cyrus Curtis Shumway (1864-1939). Father was J. J. Campbell, adopted (?) by Paul Shumway.
Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 --
Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org --
Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017