Gallery #5 PEOPLE, SCHOOLS, ORGANIZATIONS, CHURCHES
St. Francis Cathedral.

Previous Next Gallery #5 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 2023/2101
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Miscellaneous
Description St. Francis Cathedral. At the time of the building's dedication, the Morning Democrat of 4-10-1908 published this information:
In August, 1906, the corner stone of the great building was laid with imposing ceremonies and the work then was well in hand. Bishop O'Reilly went east to add to needed funds for the completion of the building. Now that it is practically completed, and the dedication ceremonies are over, and the building has been consecrated to the worship of God, it is not only a light house guiding the mariner on the sea of life to the goal of eternal peace, but it will ever stand as the beckoning signal that here the weary can find consolation, and the troubled ones the comfort of that holy religion that lifts the load of sorrow from the soul oppressed. Finished it will represent an investment of $75,000.
Just a word about the appointments of the new cathedral. The length of the building is 140 feet, and the width is 68 feet in the towers and transept, and 50 feet in the nave. It has a seating capacity of 650 on the main floor, while 200 could easily be accomodated in the music loft or gallery.
The seats are of oak, the enrichments of antique oak, the wainscoating of white imitation tiling, the base of marble. There is a large amount of plastic relief work, which adds to the beauty of the interior, the style of the architecture is pure gothic.
The alter is richly carpeted with an olive green carpet which harmonizes with the decorations of the building. The lighting fixtures are of the latest patterns, and while delightfully neat and attractive they lack that georgeousness that would make them seriously contrast with the simple and beautiful ornamentation of the building. There will still be a few finishing touches after the dedication services, such as putting in the new pipe organ that will be installed in the new music loft.
Object ID 1980.1.660
Place Church, 2000 north
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017