Gallery #5 PEOPLE, SCHOOLS, ORGANIZATIONS, CHURCHES
Baker City Academy. Built in 1869 at 4th & Broadway as a private school.

Previous Next Gallery #5 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 1626/2101
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection McCord
Date of photo 1873-1873
Description Baker City Academy. Built in 1869 at 4th & Broadway as a private school. It became a part of Baker School District 5J in 1885 and was used until 1889, when the brick Old Central School was built on that site. Prof. F. Grubbs was the first principal, who with assistance of his wife ran the school for a couple of years. He was followed as principal by Prof. S. P. Barrett. Notice the children in the upper story windows and the sagebrush in the yard.

This photo has had a sky painted in white to outline the upper portion of the building and the hill behind and it has been cropped such that some of the information on the back was cut off. Here's what's left on the back of the photo:

"Weekly Oregon Blade" in upper left corner. This was a Baker City newspaper for a short time. Not sure why it's written on the photo.

"Incorporated in 1868 Baker City Academy"
"Baker City Academy Co.: William F. McCrary, L. W. Nelson, A. H. Brown, R. A. Pierce"
"Photo taken in 1873."
"Prof. Barrett & wife reading [unintelligible] upper floor"
"J. C. McClelland Public School [unintelligible] lower floor"
Object ID 1981.1.4059
Place Baker City
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017