Ballard Bridge Dedication in 1926.

Previous Next Gallery #4 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 310/409
Enlarge Image
Collection Kuhl, Betty
Date of photo 1926
Description Ballard Bridge Dedication in 1926. The bridge was removed in 1965 during construction of Hells Canyon Dam. It was replaced by the interstate bridge was built at Copperfield/Oxbow. At the site of the bridge today is an Idaho Power campground several miles below Homestead reached by a road on the Idaho side of the river.
The following information is from an Idaho Historical Society history of Snake River ferries:
"Soon after settling on the Oregon side of the Hells Canyon area in 1885, Frank Ballard constructed a small boat to carry his produce across the river and on to the Seven Devils mining region. In 1890, Albert Kleinschmidt completed a road from the Peacock mine to Snake River. At that time, Ballard built a ferry-boat to take advantage of the expected trade. He launched his boat on two iron pontoons and equipped it with large steel cables and pulleys. He evidently never expected to get rich from his ferry enterprise, as he only charged twenty-five cents for a team and wagon and often refused payment from his friends. After his death, his son Jay continued to operate the ferry. Following the decline of mining in the region, the ferry lost most of its business and eventually gave way to a bridge in 1927."
Object ID 1998.1.25
Place Baker County-Idaho border (T20N, R4W, Section 27), 45.05139 -116.82667
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- -- Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017