Gallery #4--TRANSPORTATION & FOREST INDUSTRY.
Olds' Ferry near Farewell Bend.

Previous Next Gallery #4 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 187/363
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Hawley, Brooks
Date of photo 1915 ca.
Description Olds' Ferry near Farewell Bend. The automobile on the ferry dates the photo around 1915.
James L. Huntley in his book "Ferry Boats in Idaho,"1979 (R386.6/H954/973) says the ferry was located 12 miles west of Weiser where Snake River turns north, about a quarter mile and later a half mile east of Farewell Bend.
In 1862 Abernathy had a store on the Idaho side. In 1863 Reuben P. Olds, former employee of Hudson Bay Co., bought the store and got a franchise from Idaho Territory Legislature to operate the ferry. Partner was David Rideout. In 1864 the Idaho legislature authorized these toll rates:
$3.00 one team with wagon, extra team $1.00
$ .75 loaded pack animal
$ .75 horse and rider
$ .25 loose animals each
Income of $400-500 per day was not uncommon.
In 1865 William H. Packwood formed a partnership with Olds and John Parton to operate the ferry. The partnership was dissolved in 1868. William Green succeeded as owner. The ferry was used until 1920, when it was taken to Brownlee and used several years by a sheep outfit.
Object ID 1992.1.1167
Place Farewell Bend, Oregon
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, Oregon 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     tubingen@eoni.com
Last modified on: April 30, 2013