||SVRy. Engine # 1, passenger train, opposite Hawley house.
Brooks Hawley note: No. 1 and the regular make up of the passenger to the time the passenger was discontinued in 1937. The rear coach was always left in Sumpter, and the mail car and combinational baggage and coach went on to Austin. A separate passenger train went from Austin to Prairie 1910-1933. The whole duration of the Sumpter Valley Railroad was 1890-1947. These coaches are now on the Yukon and White Pass Railroad in Alaska. Engines 19 and 20 with tenders 16 and 18 also went to Yukon and White Pass Railroad.
There were earlier engines than this No. 1, being it went into service almost 20 years after the railroad was started. They were all second hand and some of them came from Nevada. There was an earlier set of passenger coaches too, as can be seen in other pictures. These last passenger coaches can be distinguished by the square ends of the roof. There were six of these later cars for passenger, baggage, express, and mail acquired in April 1918.
Data on No. 1 from Earl Emlaw: No. 1 was a Mogul 2-6-0 built by Baldwin Locomotive Co. , July 1901, acquired by Sumpter Valley Railway in 1910 for $6,587, used until August 15, 1934. Diameter of drivers 44"", cylinders 16" x 20", light weight engine 64,103 lbs., tender 17,184 lbs. Tender capacity 3,000 gal. water, 4 cords wood.
Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 --
Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org --
Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017