Previous Next
Record 44/409
Date: 1955
Bates mill & supervisor's house. Gregg Smith, donor of these Austin and Bates photos, wrote this about the supervisor's house: "The superintendent's house was in front of the mill. The superintendent moved to Baker in about the late 1920s. The steam-heated house was then made available to the remaining bosses. The house was assigned to Lewis "Lew" C. Smith and Etta Mae "Sue" Smith. Lew was boss of the machine shop. The Smiths occupied the house about 30 years, until 1958 when Lew retired. It was then assigned to millwright Joe Novotny. Then in 1960 it was assigned to mill boss Elwood Greear and wife, Leola. The Greears occupied the house until the mill closed in 1975. They then moved the house to John Day, where they still occupy it at 102 Hillcrest Road."
Gallery #4--TRANSPORTATION & FOREST INDUSTRY. -Bates mill & supervisor's house. The mill closed in 1975.
Bates mill & supervisor house.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- -- Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017