Gallery #4--TRANSPORTATION & FOREST INDUSTRY.
Bates mill & supervisor's house. The mill closed in 1975.

Previous Next Gallery #4 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 44/409
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Smith, M. Gregg
Date of photo 1955
Description Bates mill & supervisor's house. Gregg Smith, donor of these Austin and Bates photos, wrote this about the supervisor's house: "The superintendent's house was in front of the mill. The superintendent moved to Baker in about the late 1920s. The steam-heated house was then made available to the remaining bosses. The house was assigned to Lewis "Lew" C. Smith and Etta Mae "Sue" Smith. Lew was boss of the machine shop. The Smiths occupied the house about 30 years, until 1958 when Lew retired. It was then assigned to millwright Joe Novotny. Then in 1960 it was assigned to mill boss Elwood Greear and wife, Leola. The Greears occupied the house until the mill closed in 1975. They then moved the house to John Day, where they still occupy it at 102 Hillcrest Road."
Object ID 2005.2.4
Place Bates, 44.592750 -118.511815
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017