Gallery #3--MINES
Golconda Mine. Located .9 miles SW of Bourne.

Previous Next Gallery #3 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 673/1100
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Hawley, Brooks
Description Golconda Mine. Located .9 miles SW of Bourne.

Brooks Hawley note: The Golconda is in some ways like the E. & E. not much to brag on for the way it was run, even though it had far richer ore in spots. It is said perhaps $20,000 in ore specimens have been given away. In May, 1899, 4 tons of ore sent to the Selby Smelter at San Francisco, netted over $100,000. Like the E & E, the Golconda Mill was extravagant, and the wrong design, a bromide-chlorine plant with a 20 stamp mill, built in 1898 for $300,000 by J. G. and J. T. English, father and son, sheep men from Heppner. The Golconda was located by Taft, Snyde & Elliot in 1887, or perhaps Beckwith and Taft, and sold to the Englishes for $24,000 or $30,000 in 1897. The mill first had 20 stamps. In1902 there were 40 stamps.

The Golconda has been owned by C. S. Jackson, owner of the Portland Journal. Not much has happened since 1905, and there are no buildings left.

There is not much for a guess at the production of the Golconda. It just possibly produced $1,000,000, but surely not more.

Object ID 1992.1.518
Place Cracker Creek District, 44.82028 -118.21361
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017