||E & E Mine (Eureka & Excelsior Mine)
Brooks Hawley notes: Perhaps this mill was built in 1889 at a cost of $250,000. Certainly it was the biggest mill building in the Bourne district, and the first big mill. The milling process was changed later. The original process was a reverbatory furnace, said to save only $2 out of $ 40 ore, and half the gold went up the chimney. Perhaps Jonathan Bourne had a hand in this original mill. There does not seem to have been much activity before this big mill was erected, although the mine was located by Clark Taber, George Janney, maybe Frank Swan, about 1873 or 1877.
The E and E even though one of the best mines in the district, always had many ups and downs, and under different management.
The only period of real success was when J. H. Longmaid of Montana had it leased and in 3 ½ years from 1895 on produced $900,000 in 60,000 tons of $15 ore, and cleared $240,000, with a 20 stamp mill and 16 vanners. The mill that sets there now, is a Ball mill built by John Arthur in the 1930s, in 1962 has none of this mill nor the building, but it is the same place and some of the old stone cribbing against the hillside still is from this old mill.
The Eureka is the claim to the southwest of Cracker Creek and the Excelsior is the claim northeast of Cracker Creek. The tunnels to the south, through the 346 ft. of the Tabor Fraction, connect clear through the mountain to the Columbia.
||Cracker Creek District, 44.8425 -118.19306
Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 --
Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org --
Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017