Austin House. A stage stop 35 air miles SW of Baker City.

Previous Next Gallery #2 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 142/1101
Enlarge Image
Collection McCord
Date of photo 1900-1907
Description Austin House. A stage stop 35 air miles SW of Baker City on the road to Canyon City.
No image attached. Same as photo 1981.1.2032.

Austin was named for Mr. and Mrs. Minot and Linda Austin who came to the site in 1878. Minot
was the first postmaster of Austin. Linda ran a store and hotel. Austin was both a stage stop and train (SVRy) stop.
Brooks Hawley note: Here for many years, Mrs. Minot Austin served meals that were famous on the stage run Baker to Canyon City, and later as the noon stop for the Sumpter Valley Railroad after 1905. From 1911 to1932, it was the point to change trains for Prairie City, and it was 1947 before the railroad quit.
Not in Herman Oliver's "Gold and Cattle Country" his embarrassing time when as a green country boy he spilled his dinner at Mrs. Austin's.
In later years, the Oregon Lumber Company hotel at the Bates Mill was headquarters for eating. Some say from 1915 on, doubt if it was that early.

Object ID 1981.1.2034
Place Austin, 44.595675 -118.494390
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- -- Send comments to:
Last modified on: December 09, 2017