Gallery #2--SMALL TOWNS & GHOST TOWNS
Huntington. Oregon Commercial Co. Building.

Previous Next Gallery #2 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 81/1101
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Miscellaneous
Photographer Parker's Studio or M. M. Hazeltine
Description Huntington. Oregon Commercial Co. Building. "The foundation of this firm was laid in 1884, by R. M. Steel, D. P. Thompson and others, who were the contractors that constructed the 0. R. & N. R. R. to this point. It was known as the Oregon Construction Company, and ran along in that manner until January, 1894, when R. M. Steel, G. A. Steel and J. II. Aitkin became the incorporators and directors of the present institution. They carry a general line of merchandisee, including farm machinery, vehicles, miner's supplies, lumber and building material of all descriptions. A representative of the "Democrat" was shown through their main store and found it equal to the department stores of a large eastern city, both in the amount of stock carried and the manner of displaying it. Every line is apparently a store by itself, each in charge of a responsible head, securing the same attention to each department as if it were a distinct store under different ownership, with this difference in favor of the 0. C. Co., their clientage of customers is large and expense of doing business less. They do business strictly upon eastern principles, believing in a large volume and small profits, and with this idea have been alive to the proposition of selling goods at figures that would enable them to handle more merchandise until to-day they are recognized as being ' the heaviest buyers in Oregon outside of Portland. In 1897 they handled over two hundred cars -of general merchandise, and are the only firm to ship a solid train load of groceries to any point of the northwest, as the shippers have found out on investigation. We present a cut of it, consisting as it did of fourteen cars of groceries and two of hardware. They also do an extensive forwarding business for interior points in Harney, Malheur, Baker and Union Counties, occupying a fireproof warehouse on the track, with a floor space of 8,000 square feet. Mr. J. H. Aitkin, the president and manager of the 0. C. Co., is the personification of energy, of promptness and of versatility. He has a genius for management, understands the markets, and is so in touch with the people that he anticipates their wants and supplies them witli an instinct that never errs. Mr. G. A. Steel, the vice president, is an honored resi- dent of the State of Michigan, and is at present the State Treasurer of that great commonwealth. Mr. A. W. Sumerland, the secretary, is a young man with fine business ability, and has been connected with the company for the past eight years."
Source: p. 31, Souvenir Edition. Morning Democrat, Bowen & Small, Publishers, May 20th, 1898.
Object ID 1980.1.603
Place Huntington
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017