Gallery #1--BAKER CITY.
Catholic Chapel and first St. Elizabeth Hospital.

Previous Next Gallery #1 --Home Page Website Home Search
Record 140/2197
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Miscellaneous
Date of photo 1885 ca.
Description Catholic Chapel and first St. Elizabeth Hospital. The Catholic Chapel was built by Father Dielman in 1871, first church in Baker City. When the Cathedral was built beginning about 1905, the chapel was moved north to the NW corner of 1st and Madison.
The hospital was built in 1875 to house the Notre Dame Academy. Renamed St. Francis Academy in 1885, the building served as a school until 1892, when the Catholic Church acquired the James W. Virtue house, added a wing and turned it into a school. The building served as a Caltholic hospital from 1885 to 1915, when the stone St. Elizabeth Hospital was built on 4th St.
Object ID 1980.1.675
Place Church, 2000, north
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION: Credit Baker County Library, Baker City, Oregon

Baker County Library District, 2400 Resort St., Baker City, OR 97814 -- Ph. 541-523-6419 -- www.bakerlib.org -- Send comments to:     gdielman@bakerlib.org
Last modified on: December 09, 2017